For COM 570, Jon has created the course textbook, "Media Law: Materials and Cases," a collection of influential cases that directly pertain to media law. He also wrote, "A's for Everyone: Acing the College Experience" alongside recent Pepperdine graduate, Amanda Salz. "A's for Everyone" is the ultimate guide for making the transition from high school to college.
A staff writer for the Graphic, Pepperdine's student newspaper, interviewed Jon about his teaching style. Click here to download the article.
Through formal evaluations submitted to the administration of Seaver College, Jon's students have made the following comments about Jon and the class:
- “This is probably the coolest law class to ever exist. I really did not want to take this class, but it has ended up being my most interesting class that I will remember and use in my every day life and career.”
- “The class is amazing.”
- “He knows his stuff, and he has lots of work experience. He makes legal cases fun and is really caring. I always come home telling my roommate about something that we discussed in class that was crazy or funny. He is such a slay!”
- “BEST TEACHER EVER!”
- “I've never been so interested in lectures before. He really does a great job applying everything to real life and making it funny and entertaining. I think he has a lot to teach other professors about how to make class interesting.”
- “I have never had a more passionate professor.”
- “Hands down the best professor I have had at Pepperdine.”
- “Everyone at Pepperdine should take a class with Professor Pfeiffer!!”
- In response to the Evaluation question “What are the things that you like best about this professor?”: “Everything. He's not there to waste time with excess information. He perfectly prepares us for what we will be tested on and what he expects us to know about media law in our respective majors. He's an actual person with an actual job that he balances with teaching, which helps students get a feel for what the real world is like from a non-professor point of view. He's real and upfront about what he expects. He also is so willing to make his students connections for potential job opportunities, which is above and beyond what he needs to do. He makes class FUN, which for this subject could so easily not be the case. He allows us to laugh and crack jokes and form a healthy, fruitful learning environment and community. I never dread going to this Thursday night, 6-10pm class, in fact, I rather enjoy and look forward to it, which is why my attendance was close to perfect. It's no wonder his class is competitive to get into and always has a waitlist. The buzz surrounding his class is all positive and everyone wants him as their professor. His firm grasp of how life works and him being so honest with us about it is refreshing, especially in the Pepperdine “bubble.” He keeps it real and treats us like the adults we will be expected to be post-grad, while still keeping a “father-like” care about him. Pfeiffer is a good, old-fashioned, American teacher who just wants his students to excel and knows how to guide them to succeed. He does this through receptiveness, discipline, a healthy dose of perspective, a little tough love, kindness, understanding, organization, creativity, humor, and total expertise in his field. Thank God for Jon Pfeiffer. I fuckin’ love the guy. He made me feel like the possibility of ever attending law school could not only be possible but could be fun.”